Sunday, September 16, 2007

Teflon and Your Bird

This post is dedicated to Russ.

So V and P might sometimes be considered odd by some folks (that is okay - and I am not saying Russ thinks we are odd). One of the things we do not use much is Teflon (or non stick cookware). We do own a wok that is non-stick for sautéing emergencies.

Why? You ask well... Teflon processed with harmful chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) (You will not need to worry about said chemical after 2015 (see Washington Post article).)

My favorite website in my Teflon research is how much care Dupont takes to insure you that your birds are safe in a Teflon world (Please visit this Dupont link).

Anyways back to the Washington Post article - pay attention to paragraph three. Even if non-stick cookware may be safe (according to Dupont) the fact that I and my pals the Arctic Polar Bears have PFOA in common makes me want to stay away from Teflon until 2015. There is a lot of additional Teflon research out there from both sides but I figured this was enough to get the conversation started (EWG - read more).

Please look forward to my next post on PFOA and microwavable popcorn bags, V

P.S. Our weekend was good. P went on a surf trip (and did not take the camera). I went on a greens home tour and want to own one more than ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty interesting - I hadn't heard about PFOA, before. Thanks for the write-up.